I am really happy to say I’ve finally finished a project that I have been working on for the last year. Well, that’s not technically true. To be honest, I got stuck on a bit and put it into my sewing bag – out of sight, out of mind – for four months. I have a bit of a habit of doing that. But its finished now, hoorah! My Fabric baby activity book.
30 years ago my mum made the most amazing soft book when my brother was born. I’ve always loved it and, as she clearly wouldn’t give it to Amelie ( I did try), I decided to create something similar. I should start by saying mine is nowhere near as good as my mum’s. I tried, but she did follow a pattern whereas I kind of made it all up as I went along with scraps I had in my basket. The idea was to have a soft book with a different activity on each page. With some thinking about what activities will help Amelie’s motor skills, I made 5 pages like this:
an elephant with lace up shoes
Sewing on the activities was relatively straightforward – I did a lot of satin stitching so that I could leave the edges raw, and I also used a wonder web backing to strengthen the finer fabrics. The problem I had was working out how to bind the book together. In the end, after several months of procrastinating, I bought some large eyelets and hammered them along the sides of the book, attaching them with simple key rings.
I was so happy to give it to Amelie, finally! And at 17 months I think she’s at the right age for it now. Wouldn’t it have been awful if she’d outgrown it… phew!