A few weeks ago we were having a bit of a sort out, and both had a pair of jeans that were ready for the charity shop.
After a Pinterest search we came across this gem of a post by www.valaanvillapaita.blogspot.fi for a denim whale soft toy and we fell in love with it. So we gave it a go. He was fun to make and our toddlers love him (although he’s not as professional looking as the original!). We decided to make a mini rattle whale to go along with the daddy for the baby! This cuddly little creature is whaley easy to make (sorry).
To make the mini whale you will need:
- Fat quarter’s worth of denim (we used the material from a trouser leg)
- Toy stuffing
- Black embroidery thread
- Bells or rattle
1. Begin by cutting out the whale template above to scale. Pin onto your fabric and cut out two whale-shaped pieces. Remember to reverse the template for the back of the whale.
2. Mark the position of the eye on both pieces of fabric and satin stitch the eyes in black thread.
3. Pin the pieces of whale fabric right side together. With a 1cm seam allowance, sew the pieces together leaving a 3cm gap along the bottom to turn out.
4. Turn the whale the right way round and add the toy stuffing to make a plump little whale. Add your bell/rattle to the middle of its tummy. Finally, sew the gap up using a slip stitch.
Now, speaking of whales and water (umm… tenuous link alert!) we’re excited to be able to offer our readers a chance to WIN A PAIR OF TICKETS to the Baby and Toddler Show at Bluewater (see, water? Whale? We tried!). The show runs from the 25th to 27th April.
To win these tickets leave a comment below telling us what your favourite soft toy was as a child, or your child’s current favourite. We will select a winner at random. The competition is open until 12pm on Friday 11th April. We will then contact the winner by email so make sure you add your email address to the comments box (it won’t be seen by others).
~Laura & Tia xx~
We’re so lucky to have made the finals of the MAD Blog Awards for Best Craft Blog. If you have time, please could you vote for us here.
If you’re feeling super generous, you could also vote for us in the craft category for the BIB Awards here.