I’ve decided that, in June, I’m going have a total detox from sugar. I eat WAY too many biscuits. And cakes. And chocolate… So its time to go cold turkish delight (sorry) and try to kick my addiction. We’ll see how it turns out, but in the meantime I decided to say bye bye to biscuits in style and cook up these delicious Salted Caramel Brownie Cookies, which I found here on www.donnahay.com.au. Read on for the full recipe.
For 12 Cookies You will need:
For the Brownies:
350g dark chocolate, chopped
40g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
35g plain flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking powder
For the salted caramel frosting:
165g caster sugar
125ml single cream
150g unsalted butter, chopped
sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place 200g of the chocolate and the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy.
3. Stir through the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room to spread.
5. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool.
6. To make the salted caramel icing, place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 8–9 minutes or until golden.
7. Remove from the heat and carefully add the cream and butter. Return the saucepan to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Refrigerate until completely cool.
8. Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk mixture until soft peaks form.
9. Spread half the cookies with the icing, sprinkle with the salt and sandwich with the remaining cookies.
Delicious. These didn’t last very long in our house – and I’m slightly ashamed to say that I ate the majority! That sugar detox is definitely due…
P.s. if you like this, why not try these other recipes – salted caramel millionaires shortbread and bonfire brownies. That’s if you’re not kicking the sugar habit too (sniff…). Click the image for the full tutorials .