Being pregnant I find myself having sweet cravings a lot of the time. I also find I’m pretty indecisive in choosing what I actually want as a treat. When I couldn’t decide between a rocky road or a cupcake the other day, I thought why choose when you can have both! These chocolate chip cupcakes are topped with vanilla buttercream and a deconstructed rocky road on top. They really do satisfy any sweet craving you have, pregnant or not!
To make 12 cupcakes you will need:
For the cupcakes:
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 150g milk chocolate chips
For the topping:
- 175g butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- 2tbsp milk
- 8 drops vanilla extract
Rocky road topping:
- 75g digestive biscuits, crushed
- 50g glace cherries, chopped
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 75g milk chocolate chips
- 25g marshmallows, chopped
- 50g melted chocolate to drizzle
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line your cupcake tray.
2. Mix the butter, eggs, flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder in a mixer until smooth and fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon into the cupcake cases (3/4s full) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling tray.
3. To make the buttercream, beat the butter in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the sifted icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk and mix until completely combined. Spoon the buttercream on top of the cakes and smooth using a knife.
4. Prepare the rocky road topping by chopping the cherries, marshmallows and nuts. Crush the digestive biscuits in a sandwich bag, using a rolling-pin. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and stir until mixed up. Melt the chocolate.
5. Add the rocky road topping on top of the buttercream and drizzle melted chocolate on top. Get stuck in!