With the impeding birth of my second Little Button (due on Christmas Day!), my lovely friends and family have organised various fake Christmas’s throughout December so we don’t miss out on the festivities. To get us in the festive spirit for fake Christmas number one I made this winter wonderland chocolate cake. I used a fail proof chocolate cake recipe by Mary Berry and improvised the filling and topping.
For the sponge you will need:
- 50g cocoa
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 175g Lurpax butter
- 250g sifted icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 6 drops of clear vanilla extract
- 100g milk chocolate, melted
- Plastic animal cake toppers
1. Begin by pre-heating the oven to 180°C/160 fan and greasing two sandwich tins.
2. Mix the cocoa and boiling water until it forms a paste.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Divide the cake mixture between the two tins. Bake for about 30 minutes until well risen. Allow to cool slightly in the tins then transfer onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
4. To make the buttercream, mix the butter until light and fluffy. As I wanted my buttercream to be as white as possible I did this for about 15 minutes with an electric mixer. Next, add the sifted icing sugar, milk and clear vanilla extract and mix until combined.
5. Using a pallet knife, spread the buttercream onto one of the cakes and sandwich the other one on top. Spread the remaining buttercream on top of the cake.
6. For the milk chocolate trees, melt 100g of chocolate and pour into a sandwich bag/piping bag. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Snip the corner off the bag and draw rustic trees. Start at the top of the tree and draw triangles with a line down the centre for the trunk. Leave in the fridge to set.
7. Finally, push the trees into the centre of the cake, add plastic woodland creatures and dust with icing sugar for a snowy effect.
I’ve only got to make this cake another three times for the other fake Christmases we’ve got planned!