In my obsessive middle-of-the-night pinning (pinterest is the only thing that keeps me awake whilst breast-feeding at 3am!) I’ve recently seen several pins featuring Pie Pops. Oh yes! Move over cake – PIE is now in lolly form. These little chocolatey hearts are perfect for Valentines – they’re super easy and only have three ingredients…if you use ready roll pastry. Okay, that may be cheating, but I have two kids. Its all about speed.
You will need (makes 9 pops):
- 250g ready-roll shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- heart cookie cutter
- lollipop sticks
1. Preheat the oven to 200 c. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the pastry to about 3mm thickness. From the pastry cut out heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
3. Dollop a teaspoon of nutella into the centre of half the hearts. Then mix the egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush a little egg around the nutella.
4. Place the remaining hearts on top and press around the edges with a fork. Mark a cross on the top with a knife (to let the air bubbles out and stop your hearts exploding!).
5. Brush the egg wash over the top of the pies and pop the pops in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Once cooked, insert a lollipop stick and leave on a rack to cool.
Now eat your heart out. Ha! I did a joke!