It was Harper’s 2nd birthday recently, and being a fan of Peppa Pig (which two-year-old isn’t?!) we decided to make her a muddy puddle cake topped with a party Peppa. The inside of the cake was a vanilla sponge with jam and vanilla buttercream. The outside was buttercream and chocolate icing.
You will need:
- Ingredients for sponge
- Strawberry jam
- Vanilla buttercream
- Ready to roll icing in pink, red, yellow, white and black
- Chocolate ready to roll icing
- 3 cocktail sticks
- Small amount of glittery gold card, glue and a tiny pom-pom
1. Begin by making your sponges.
3. Smooth a thin layer of buttercream around the top and sides of the cake to seal the crumbs in place. Place in the fridge to harden a little. Using a palette knife add a second layer of buttercream. Place a generous helping on top of the cake and use your knife to smooth out the top, smoothing it down onto the sides.
4. To make the muddy puddle, mould the brown ready to roll icing in your hand to warm it slightly. Roll to a thickness of about 4mm and then, using a knife, cut out a large puddle shape. This needs to be larger than the top layer of the cake so it can go down the sides. Then cut out different-sized teardrop shapes and press onto the cake to make the splashes.
5. We decided to film making the Peppa topper as it seemed easier to explain than writing the instructions down!
Harper was filled with delight, and said “Peppa!” when she saw it, so we knew it was worth the effort.
~ Laura & Tia xx ~