This is definitely not the quickest cake in the world, but I’ve never made a swiss roll or roulade before so it was interesting to give it a go. I learned two things, first, there is no butter or oil in roulade (until you ram it full of cream of course!) – there is chocolate in this one, but you can make it without. Secondly, its really easy. Just not so quick. But that might be me.
Here is how you make it – you will need a 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) Swiss roll tin.
- 175g/6oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 level tbsp cocoa, sieved
For the filling
- 300ml/10fl oz double cream
- 3tbsp raspberry jam
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 100g chocolate
- 200ml double cream
1. Lightly grease the Swiss roll tin and line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Place the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until light and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate and stir until evenly blended.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff. Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites and the cocoa.
5. Pour into the prepared tin and give it a wobble to level the top. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven, leave in the tin to cool for a few minutes, then flip it out onto some cling film. Roll it up, incorporating the cling film as you go. Leave to cool completely. This will help the cake to not crack when wrapped with the cream.
6. meanwhile, whip the cream until it just holds its shape. Once the cake has cooled, unwrap it and spread the jam and cream on top. Roll it back up, this time without the clingfilm!
7. Finally, make the chocolate sauce. This is so easy, simply heat the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. When it starts to melt, add the cream then stir until it has all melted and combined. When you are ready to serve the roulade, pour the sauce on top. Delicious!