When my kids have cupcakes they basically eat the icing, have one nibble of the cake and they’re done. So I had a bit of a brainwave the other day (or at least I think it’s a brainwave. Don’t tell me if I’ve just missed the boat): Making miniature cupcakes in petit four (or truffle) cases, using a cake pop mould for the tray. BING! And it actually worked, which is nice because my bakes often don’t!
I used a basic cupcake recipe from BBC food and adapted it to make 24 super cuuuute mini cupcakes.
You will need:
- 110g/4oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- For the buttercream icing
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- blueberries and sugar sprinkles to top
- petit-four/truffle cases
- cake pop mould
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line the cake pop mould with cases – you can use both sides so you should be able to get them all in at once.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon a teaspoon of the mixture into each case.
3. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown on top. Set aside to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
4. For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a small star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl. Decorate with sugar sprinkles and blueberries.
My family came over and these seemed to disappear quickly! I think we were all telling ourselves that 1 normal cupcake equals about…lets say 8…of the mini ones…so, I guess we should have another???