Today this little rabbit turns three and to celebrate she really wanted a Peter Rabbit party and, more importantly, Peter Rabbit cake. So we’ve been knee deep in rabbits and carrots for a few weeks now. To complete her outfit we teamed up with Ladybird Books and made these easy sew felt rabbit ears. They’re simple enough to make in half an hour, making them a great last minute make for keen bunnies.
Time Taken: 30 minutes
Skill Level: Beginners
You will need:
- A4 sheet of brown felt
- A4 sheet of light pink felt
- 2 pipe cleaners
- Plastic hairband (without teeth)
- Pink and Brown sewing thread
- Double sided tape
- Use the template provided to cut the ears. Cut four of the outer ear from brown felt and two of the inner ear from pink felt.
- Pin the pink inner ear to one of the outer ear pieces positioning it a couple of centimetres from the bottom. Use pink thread to sew it in place, all the way round the edge of the pink felt, either by hand or on a machine. Repeat for the other ear.
- Fold one of the pipe cleaners in half and lay it on top of the unsewn outer ear piece. The pipe cleaner should be poking out from the bottom of the ear a little. Pin the front of the ear on top, right sides facing, and sew together all the way round the curved edge, leaving 2cm at the bottom unsewn. Trim away any excess threads. Repeat for the other ear.
- Position each ear on top of the hairband. Twist the pipe cleaners onto the band making sure the ends are well concealed. Then add a strip of double sided tape onto each of the brown tabs and fold over the hairband, pressing down to seal.
All you need now is a little blue jacket, a green satchel and a journal and you’re ready for a rabbit adventure!
If you fancy making ears to be Lilly Bobtail then swap the brown felt for white. For Benjamin Bunny make the ears as above and instead of attaching them onto a headband, sew them into the rim on the inside of a green bobble hat pointing downwards.
To celebrate Beatrix Potter’s 150th anniversary this year, Ladybird Books have very kindly given us a box set of the Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit to give away in a competition! All you have to do is hop over to our Facebook page and share this post or retweet our Peter Rabbit tweet on Twitter. A winner will be picked at random on Easter Sunday and contacted to arrange delivery of the prize.
~Laura & Tia xx ~