Since the 3rd of January (the day after Grayson’s birthday) Harper had been talking about her birthday and how she wanted a Peter Rabbit cake. So two and a half months later, there we were with a Peter Rabbit birthday cake. I decided to decorate a chocolate cake so as to resemble Mr McGregor’s garden and have a sneaky Peter stealing vegetables from it.
You will need:
- 2 x square sponge cake (mine measured 9″ diameter)
- Chocolate buttercream icing (enough to cover the cake and go in the middle)
- 4 packets of Match Makers
- 100g dark chocolate, finely grated
- Ready to roll icing in red, orange, white & green
- Scrap of cardboard
- Lollipop stick
- Masking tape
- Plastic Peter Rabbit Figurine
1. Begin by making your square cake. I wanted mine to be really high so I baked two cakes and sandwiched them together with chocolate buttercream. Spread a generous amount of buttercream around the top and sides and smooth it over. Now you’ve got your blank canvas ready to decorate.
2. Stick Match Makers around the outside of the cake to resemble a garden fence. Snap the top off some of the sticks to make the fence uneven and give it a rickety feel. I then tied a bit of twine around them just whilst the buttercream was setting to help it harden… and then forgot to take it off at the party!
3. Stick the masking tape onto card and cut out two strips long enough to form a cross on the cake. Lay it on of the cake to create a path. Then to create the different vegetable patches, put Match Makers along the path. Sprinkle the grated chocolate in each of the four corners of the cake.
4. Use ready to roll icing to make the vegetables. This is a lot like playing with Play Dough. All you need to do is roll them into shape and add a few details using a sharp knife. You can also make a pair of Mr McGregor’s wellies to pop on top.
5. Place the vegetables into their patches. Push some of the carrots into the chocolate soil and lay the rest on top.
6. Finally, make a few signs using cardboard, pop them in the cake and add a cheeky Peter Rabbit figure stealing a carrot. I got mine off Ebay.
Most awkward pose with a cake winner goes to me I think! After two and a half months of wanting a Peter Rabbit cake Harper turned around the day before and said she wanted a piñata style cake (she’d seen one in the Lakeland catalogue). Luckily she seemed to have forgotten that request on the day and the Peter Rabbit one went down well. Phew!
~ Laura xx ~