I think this has to be my favourite and simplest craft project I’ve done in a while! Pom-poms make me very happy and after seeing that they are the hottest new trend for adult sandals this summer I decided to make a version for Harper so she is beach-chic! I spent a while looking for plain sandals for little girls that weren’t really leather (so they’re easier to sew through) and found this pair in Primark.
You will need:
- Plain sandals
- Scraps of trimmings, pom-poms and ribbon
- Sewing thread to match trimmings
- Sewing pins
- Lighter or strong glue
1. Begin by deciding where to put your pom-poms and ribbons on your sandal. Cut each strip 1cm longer than each part of the sandal. Take a lighter and briefly scorch the end of the ribbon/ pom-pom to stop it fraying.
2. Pin your pom-poms to the sandal one layer at a time and hand sew them on. You could use strong glue if you wanted a quicker finish. I found layering up different sized pom-poms was effective on the front part of the sandal. Just don’t use anything that’s too big, as you don’t want little feet tangled in them when putting them on.
3. For the back part, pin a layer of pom-poms and stitch in place. On top of that pin a length of ric rac and sew. Repeat for a few more layers.
There you have it! Not much of a ‘how-to’, but this certainly brightens up a pair of plain sandals and only costs about £5 in total, so a colourful bargain!
~ Laura xx ~