Earlier this year, we went for a long weekend to Mersea Island with the grandparents. Grandpa had made a batch of these oatcakes to enjoy. They made normal crackers pale in comparison – they should be ashamed of themselves! The recipe was adapted from here.
To make 16-20 oatcakes you will need:
- 200g porridge oats
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 25ml extra virgin olive oil
- 25g melted butter
- A little boiling water (10 tablespoons full)
- 6cm cookie cutter
Preheat the oven to 160C. Pour half the porridge oats, salt and pepper into a food processor and whizz them until the mixture is fine.
Add the remaining porridge oats into the mixing bowl and pour in the olive oil. Mix the oil and oats together a little. Add the boiling water a little bit at a time and mix the oats until they make a malleable dough.
3. Knead a little and turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of 5mm.
4. Take your cutter and cut out the oatcakes. You will need to clump together and re-roll the mixture after cutting our a few. Pop the oatcakes onto a lined baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes, or until they are a little browned.
Serve with your favourite toppings! There’s no going back to shop-bought crackers from us now.
~ Laura xx ~