We were asked by Brother to come up with a fun sewing project for kids over Halloween, so we thought we’d make some spooky hand puppets for your little ones to put on a seasonal show. This friendly witch and ghoulish fellow are simple enough for kids to stitch on a sewing machine with a little help.
You will need:
For the witch:
- 2 x A4 sheets of black felt
- 1 x A4 sheet green felt
- 1 x A4 sheet purple felt
- Scraps of brown and beige felt
- Small ball of black wool
- Black embroidery thread and needle
- Matching sewing threads to felt
1. Use the templates to cut the following:
- 1 body piece in black
- 1 body piece in green
- 1 black hat
- 1 purple cape
- 1 black skirt
- 1 purple top
- 1 brown broom handle
- 1 beige broom stick
2. Pin the skirt onto the bottom of the green body piece and use a sewing machine to sew along the bottom edge and sides. Then pin the purple top onto the body piece so that it just overlaps the top of the skirt and sew along the bottom, sleeves and neckline.
3. Make snips in the brush part of the broom then pin the broomstick handle across the skirt and top with the brush part, overlapping slightly, in the witch’s hand. Sew the broom in place, leaving the tips the brush unsewn.
4. To make the hair, wrap black wool around a book (ours measured 15cm tall) approximately 40 times (more if you want thicker hair!). Ease the wool off the book and pin to the head where shown. Repeat for the other side. Check that the hat piece will cover the top of the hair line before sewing onto the head along the top of the wool. Snip through the loops at the end of hair and make two plaits. Secure the ends by wrapping wool around in a tight knot.
5. Pin the hat on top of the hair, lining it up with the green body piece and sew all the way around the edge.
6. Use a pencil to mark two little eyes, a crocked nose and a smile. Hand sew these on with black embroidery thread. For the eyes sew small stitches, crossing over one another to resemble an asterisk. and use backstitch for the nose and mouth.
7. Pin the cape onto the black body and sew in place along the top.
8. Pin the hair, broom and cape away from the edges of the body pieces so as not to catch them when sewing. Then pin the front and back pieces, right sides together and sew all the way around from one bottom corner to another, with a 5mm seam allowance.
9. Trim any excess from the seam and any threads hanging down. Turn the puppet the right way out and you’re ready to cast magic spells!
For the ghost you will need:
- 2 x A4 sheets of white felt
- scraps of black felt
- Matching sewing threads
- Use the templates to cut the following:
- 2 body pieces in white
- 1 mouth in black
- 2 eyes in black
2. Sew the eyes and moth onto the front of one of the pieces of felt. Place the two pieces right sides together and sew round the edge from the tail round to the other side. Turn out.
Thanks very much to Brother for sponsoring this post and happy Halloween!
~ Laura & Tia xx ~