It’s Christttmmmassssssss….. well nearly! As I’m a big lover of pom-poms and Christmas, I decided to have a go at making my own festive knit with a pom-pom twist. As I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to do more, I made two. They’re both pretty quick to make and cheaper than a tin of Quality Street!
For the snow jumper, you will need:
- Grey jumper
- 1.5m sequin trim
- Fabric glue
- Small ball white wool
- White sewing thread and needle
- Felt tip pen
1. I found this fantastic tutorial for sequin phrases on jumpers a few years ago and have been dying to try it out. Begin by making yourself a template. Print out or write your phrase onto paper and cut around it to form a template. Pin this onto the front of your jumper, making sure it’s straight and centred.
2. Place a sheet of newspaper in the middle of the jumper to stop anything going onto the back. Then use a felt tip pen to draw in the centre of your template. Remove template once done.
3. Place a line of glue slightly above the writing and place one end of your sequins on top. You have a little while to play around as fabric glue doesn’t set instantly.
4. Then add glue underneath your pen mark and glue your sequin trim on top. Each letter should have two rows of sequins.
5. Repeat for the other letters and cut off any excess once you get the end of your word.
6. When the glue has dried, hand stitch the sequin trim in place.
7. To make the pom-poms, begin by wrapping the wool around a fork about twenty times. Then ease the bundle off the fork and tie another piece of wool around the centre. Tie it as tight as you can with a double knot.
Use a pair of scissors to snip through all the loops and then give the pom-pom a little haircut so all the strands are neat.
8. Repeat the previous step to make about 15 pom-poms.
9. Use white sewing thread to hand stitch them onto the front of the jumper, spacing them out.
For an even easier make, this pom pom tree tee is a no-sew treat of a project. I saw a similar version in Boden and wanted to create a cheaper version.
You will need:
- Cheap Breton tee
- Ready made pom-poms
- Fabric glue
1. Lay your top out flat and put newspaper inside it, to prevent the glue leaking through to the back.
2. Lay out your pom-poms in a design you’re happy with and glue in place.
3. Once the glue has dried you can sew the pom-poms in place to secure them.
The award for most awkward posers definitely goes to us!!
~ Laura xx ~