Our friends over at Brother Sewing asked us to sew something for Valentines, so we thought we’d whip up this little heart shoulder bag. We’ve made it from canvas cotton but it can be made from any fabric as long as it is relatively thick. We sewed the bag and purse together using a 1cm (3/8in) seam allowance.
You will need:
- 1/4m red canvas
- 1/4m teal canvas
- 1m string
- 2 metal snap fasteners
1. Print out the attached template and use it to cut 2 hearts from both the red and teal fabric. Pin and sew the outer fabric together, leaving 15 cm open along the top of each heart for the opening. Repeat for the lining, making sure the opening is in the same place as the outer. Make snips around the curved edges (including into the top of the heart) in the seam allowance to prevent puckering.
2. Turn the outer fabric the right way out and fold the top by 1cm to hide the raw edges. Press with an iron. Keep the lining fabric inside out, fold the tabs outwards and press.
3. To make the strap for the bag, cut a strip of red fabric measuring 165 x 10cm. Cut a piece of string just a little longer than this (this will enable you to pull the fabric the right way out). Place the string along the fabric and fold in half lengthways. Pin in place, sandwiching the string inside. Stitch across one end of the string to secure it in place then sew along the long edge.
4. To turn the strap the right way out, pull the unsewn end of the string holding the other end of the fabric in your other hand. As you pull, the sewn end will start to turn in and gradually the strap will turn the right way out. This starts off a little fiddly but gets easier! Cut off the string and press the strap.
5. Pin the straps onto the inside of the back of the bag, being careful not to twist them. Sew neatly along the top edge of the bag to secure.
6. Insert the lining into the bag. Pin all the way along the top and sew the bag and lining together.
7. Attach a snap fasteners to the top of the handbag following the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. If you want to make the detachable purse, draw a smaller heart (about 15cm high) onto a piece of paper for a template. We folded the paper for symmetry. Repeat steps 1 & 2, swapping the colours of fabric for contrast.
9. For the strap of the purse, cut a smaller length of teal fabric measuring 35 x 6 cm. Turn out as in step 4, then fold one end in to conceal the raw edges, pin and sew. Pin the other end onto the inside of the front of the back and sew as before along the top of the bag. Attach a popper to the other end and one to the front of the bag.
10. Attach to the strap of your bag and you’re all done. Perfect for Valentines date night!
With thanks to the lovely team over at Brother Sewing for sponsoring this post.
Tia & Laura x