This cute little turtle rattle is a simple sewing project for beginners and makes a perfect gift for a teeny tiny new baby. He makes a happy little jingle because he’s stuffed with craft bells.
You Will Need:
- Free Template
- 1/4m Pale blue cotton canvas
- 1/4m Pale pink cotton canvas
- Grey and pink embroidery thread and needle
- Toy stuffing
- 4 craft bells
- Fabric pen or Taylors chalk
- Blunt pencil or crochet hook
1. Use the template to cut 2 body pieces from blue fabric. From the pink, cut 2 heads, 4 arms, 4 legs and 2 tails.
2. Use a fabric pen or Taylor’s chalk to lightly draw a face onto one of the head pieces – you can use the template for guidance. Note that there will be a 1/4 seam allowance when sewn. Hand-sew the face with embroidery thread, using back stitch.
3. Pin the arms, legs, head and tail pieces right sides together and use a sewing machine to sew with a 1/4in seam allowance. Once sewn, make snips in the excess fabric around the curved and cornered areas to prevent puckering. Turn and stuff the pieces.
4. Pin the legs, arms, head and tail onto the right side of one of the body pieces, facing inwards, with the fabric edges lined up. Make sure they are evenly placed with the legs and arms lined up with each other, then sew along the edge each body piece to secure in place.
5. Place the body pieces right sides together, with the sewn one on top. Pin together, then sew around the whole body with a 1/2in seam allowance. Leave a 2.5 in gap along the side of the body to allow you to turn out.
6. Make snips as before to prevent puckering, then turn out.
7. Stuff the body and add the bells, pushing them into the centre so that they are cushioned by the stuffing. Slip stitch the hole closed.
Don’t get too attached Lilah…
Tia & Laura x