Back in March, Harper had a superhero party for her 4th birthday. For each of her parties I go a little DIY cray-cray so expect a few superhero-themed posts coming up from me. This superhero piñata was for the end of the event, so the party went out with a BAM (and a WHAM and a KAPOW).
You Will Need:
- Large cardboard box
- Double-sided tape
- Masking tape
- 4 x packets blue crepe paper
- 2 x packets yellow crepe paper
- 8 x A4 red card
- 8 x A4 black card
- Blue and yellow paint
- Open the box up and draw a large spiky shape on one of the large sides, then cut this out. Use this as a template to draw around on the other side of the box. Cut this out so you have two matching pieces.
2. Cut the remainder of the box into strips approximately 10cm high, making sure you cut vertically across the corrugations. You need enough strips to go around the spiky pieces. Along the top and the bottom, cut 2cm tabs and bend upwards as per the picture.
3. Roll up the strips of cardboard so they curve and will bend a bit easier.
4. Use double-sided tape to stick the tabs onto the back of one of the spiky pieces. You want to do this in small sections and follow the spikes all the way around. Then on the other spiky piece, stick double-sided tape all around the edge and then press down on top making sure the tabs are folded in. Go around all the edges with masking tape. As a base coat I painted the sides and edges blue and the middle sections yellow on the front and the back of the piñata.
5. Cut the blue crepe paper into strips of approximately 5cm in height and then cut a fringing effect into them. Then, starting around the edge, stick the fringed crepe paper in lines using double-sided tape. Overlay each strip a little. Work all the way around the edges leaving the last part without fringing for now.
6. Then stick fringing on the front and back of the piñata. Starting at the outer edges and working into the middle of the blue section, stick your fringing using double-sided tape so each layer overlaps the last. Then repeat with the yellow until both sides are filled with fringing.
7. Use a sharp pair of scissors or a craft knife to cut a door in the side without fringing. Bend the door back. Make two holes at the top of the piñata. Tie a knot in a long piece of string and thread it into one of the holes from the inside of the piñata and out the top. Then thread the string into the other hole and secure with a knot.
8. Fill your piñata with treats such as sweets, stickers, pencils, bouncy balls and party blowers. Use masking tape to seal the door shut, and cover it with blue fringing.
9. Onto red card, draw the word “WHAM!” large enough so it fits across your piñata. Cut two of these out (one for the front and one for the back). Then draw a slightly larger ‘WHAM!’ twice onto black card and cut out. Use double-sided tape to stick the black ‘WHAM!’ down on each side and then stick the red on top.
10. You can make your own piñata stick by sticking fringing around a sturdy stick or buy one. Alternatively, use a wooden spoon or anything you can find to bash it with!
This piñata should carry a warning with it… once it breaks, your superheroes will go crazy and will be scrabbling on the floor for a good ten minutes picking up the goodies.
~ Laura x ~
If you love piñatas like we do then take a look at our other past projects: