We kind of miss the days when an Advent calendar was just a piece of card with pictures of holly and candles in it. Our kids have never had an advent calendar like that – they probably never will. With some advent calendars costing up to £100 for ‘proper’ toys in them… have we gone a bit advent mental? Well, maybe. But you don’t need to spend big bucks to have yourself an alternative advent.
We’re joining in with our Channel Mum buddies to promote their lovely (and printable) kindness advent, with the aim of encouraging a bit more giving than getting. And there are tons of other DIY advent options that give the kids something a bit different – here’s a round up of our favourite Alternatives you can try:
1. First up, the kindness advent from Channel Mum. Here’s our vlog on it:
2. This cool and artsy mobile Advent by Hamptons
3. These INCREDIBLE Gingerbread Advents! No way in hell we’d ever be able to make them, but it’s nice to look! By Cookie Connection
4. Poke a tree advent or game By Fun 365
5.Copper advent by Growing Spaces
6. The DIY Elf on the Shelf, Elbert, we made last year Click here for the tutorial.
7.Fabric advent envelopes by Hobbycraft
8. Beard Chopping Advent! From La Class Della Maestra. You could add daily challenges or rewards to each layer to make it a little more exciting.
9. The reverse food advent is another way to spread kindness at Christmas. Each day you’re filling up your advent box to with food items to donate to your local food bank. From UK Money Bloggers.
10. Finally, our little advent garland stockings and mittens, made 3 years ago and still going strong! Click here for the tutorial
What’s on your advent wish list this year?
~ Tia & Laura xx ~