Every year it gets to this point after Christmas and I wish I’d started making and writing thank you cards in October. Harper had strong ideas over what she wanted to do this year. Normally I get to steer it, but oh no, not this year. This year Harper wanted to write the cards herself and make a ring for everyone. So this is what we came up with.
I think it says ‘congratulations on your engagement’ or ‘will you marry me?’ more than ‘thanks’ but I didn’t want to trample on her creative vision!
You will need:
- Blank cards and envelopes
- Glue gun
- Sparkly pipe cleaners (4 per card)
- Coloured pipe cleaners (half per card)
- Decorative tape
- Begin by bending one sparkly pipe cleaner into a diamond shape. Twist the ends together to conceal the sharp edges.
2. Attach half of a sparkly pipe cleaner across the middle from one point to the other (see the picture for reference)
3. Cut 2 pipe cleaners in half and attach one down the middle vertically and two from the top corners to the bottom point. Twist the ends in as before. Add a few small bits across the top to form a zig-zig pattern. Twist in or cut off any excess pipe cleaner.
4. Cut a coloured pipe cleaner in half and bend it into a circle. Twist the ends in. Then twist the ring onto the diamond using a small piece of sparkly pipe cleaner.
5. Write a phrase across the top of the card. I got Harper to write it onto baking paper and then traced over it onto each card. Use a glue gun to go over the writing and sprinkle glitter on top.
6. Place the ring onto the card at an angle and draw lines coming out of it in pencil so it looks like it’s extra sparkly. Then go over the lines with glue and glitter again. Attach the ring to the front of the card with a bit of decorative tape.
After I’d finished making the cards and was sat on my floor surrounded in glitter I had a brainwave that I could have just used glitter glue (or just bought some cards)! I didn’t think I had any until I began tidying up and found a pack in my (mess of a) craft cupboard.
Harper’s nearest and dearest, apologies for the huge spoiler alert on these cards. They’re still sitting on my mantlepiece waiting to be posted! I’ll buy stamps before Christmas this year in preparation for next year’s cards!
~ Laura xx ~