My kids got an audio book of Charlottes Web for Christmas and they love it way more than I thought they would, listening along in the car. And I’ve found I’m totally hooked too (I’ve been demanding silence or it goes off!). So we made a very easy Charlotte’s Web head piece for World Book Day, using mainly Duck Tape.
You will need:
🐖 pink and black Duck Tape
🐖 A5 sheet black craft foam
🐖 6-7 white pipe cleaners
🐖 double sided tape
🐖 yoghurt pot
🐖 black permanent pen
🐖 hair band
🐖 googly eyes
1. To make the snout, cut the top off the yoghurt pot so that you have a cup that is 4-5cm deep.
2. Cover the pot with pink Duck Tape. Start by putting 2 large strips over the base, then make snips and fold down for a neat edge. Fold more Duck Tape over the cut edge of the pot so that it is nice and smooth.
3. Use a marker pen to make two nostrils onto the base of the pot.
4. Using a pair of sharp scissors or a knife, carefully poke 2 holes in either side of the snout, about 1cm from the edge. Push the elastic through and knot the end. Push the elastic through the other hole, test the fit on your child then secure with another knot.
5. For the spider web, cut 4 lengths of pipe cleaner to around 12cm. Attach double sided tape to the pipe cleaners and attach them onto the craft foam to form a star shape. Attach tape to the remaining pipe cleaners and bend them in place to attach them around the star. Trim the foam to the size of the web.
6. To make the spider legs, cover another pipe cleaner with black Duck Tape and snip into 4 equal pieces. Bend into leg shapes and add a length of tape to the bottom of the legs. Add a length of tape to allow you to attach the legs to the body.
7. For the spider body, take the end of the roll of Duck Tape and fold it over and over to roll into a small bundle for the spiders body. Tape the legs to the bottom.
8. Add googly eyes to the spider and glue onto the web. Glue the web onto a hair band – you can hold with tape whilst it sets if need be.
Then you just need to paint your child’s face pink, if you like and dress him or her in appropriately coloured clothes!
~ Tia & Laura xx ~
Thanks again to Duck Tape for sponsoring this post.